About the Lakeville Fire Department
The Lakeville Fire Department is comprised of a Fire Chief, a Deputy Fire Chief, four permanent fire Lieutenants, four permanent firefighters and another twenty on-call personnel dedicated to serving approximately 12,000 residents in the town of 36.1 square miles. The L.F.D. is manned 24/7/365 with one Lieutenant and one firefighter, at least one of which being certified at the Massachusetts EMT-Paramedic level, who work two rotating 24 hour shifts per week. We operate out of a central fire station located on Bedford Street (Route's 18 & 105), across from Assawompsett Pond, in the same building as the Town Hall. We are capable of responding to everything from medical emergencies, car accidents, fires and water/ice rescues. We have two Advanced Life Support Ambulances in service, one of which is staffed by the full-time permanent members.
When you dial 9-1-1, your call goes to the Lakeville Police dispatcher who then transfers the call to the L.F.D for appropriate response. When the pair of permanent firefighter's leave the station on a call, the Department relies heavily on the response of dedicated on-call personnel to respond to the location of the emergency or to cover the station for further calls until the permanent firefighter's return.
At the moment, we have three fire engines, two ALS ambulances, a ladder truck, a water tanker truck, a brush/forest fire truck, a boat and a hovercraft in service for emergency response. You can find more information and pictures of our equipment on the "apparatus" page!
Curious what our response times are or how many calls we do? Check them out below!
Quick notes about the response time list:
- Times start when we are dispatched by the Lakeville Police.
- Times are from the Fire Station on Bedford Street to the incident location.
- Locations on the list are divided into areas of streets and specific locations, such as the Town lines. For example, it is approximately ten minutes from the time we are dispatched until we arrive at the Howland Road School Complex.
- Times do not include weather, detours and traffic conditions.
- Keep in mind that some calls require additional resource and equipment preparation prior to departure from the station; and we have two permament Firefighter's on duty at a time.
- Also please remember that we rely heavily on call personnel; the listed times do not include the additional five to fifteen minute response time for them to arrive at the Fire Station.
As we are still getting our website up and going, please stay tuned for a more detailed history of the Lakeville Fire Department!